I am a soon-to-be new user of Debian. I have been using other (particularly live) distros for a while to learn linux, but I very much want to move to Debian.

In any case, with a new major release (etch - 4.0) coming out soon, I am wondering which release to use right now... the testing release of 4.0 or the stable release of 3.1 ?

A few concerns:

1) How long will security updates be maintained for 3.1 once 4.0 becomes "stable"? 2) If I do choose 3.1 for now, will I soon find it necessary to move to 4.0?
3)  Any particular reason why it may not be good to pick 4.0 at this point?

not looking to start a "which is better" argument, just looking for some input about making a choice given the current release timeline.

thanks...