On Sun, Feb 04, 2007 at 01:59:13PM -0500, Greg Folkert wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-02-04 at 13:44 -0500, cga2000 wrote:

> > > Use aptitude in interactive mode; it will allow you to make sure it
> > > won't remove things you want to keep before you commit.
> >
> > I always use command line apt-get.
> >
> > Isn't switching to aptitude going to mess things up?
>
> start out with:
>
>       aptitude keep-all
>
> Then proceed as you want.

However, I think that you will be presented with a list of install
packages all marked for manual installation.  You will want to go down
the list and mark as automatic anything that you don't specifically want
installed except to meet dependencies.

Then you can purge the gnome and kde stuff which will remove anything
that they depend on that other apps don't also depend on.

After this, if you really want to continue with the command line instead
of interactive, use aptitude from the command line instead of apt-get.

Doug.