On Sun, Feb 04, 2007 at 05:49:17PM -0500, Michael Pobega wrote:
> I'm currently using Debian Etch (Testing) on my notebook, and it is
> fairly stable in a good sense of the word (Those 100+ release critical
> bugs really aren't bugs that affect me, so my system is perfectly stable
> to my knowledge).
>
> The only problem I'm seeing with Etch is that the packages are somewhat
> outdated, and certain "bugged" packages aren't available on the repos
> (Checkinstall for an example).

Reading this post and the replies from the others so far, I am
wondering why apt-pinning never came up. Maybe I have overread. Is
this practice deprecated by aptitude or some other new mechanisms?

Anyway I used it for some packages by the time that Woody was stable
but too old for some of my needs. Also being more or less a newbie I
wanted to keep as much as possible from the stable branch. So I went
for the pinning solution and got a setup which involved all 3
distributions. I.e. Firefox was pinned to unstable, as I wanted
security fixes ASAP, or jackd was pinned to testing as it already
passed Sid which implies a certain degree of stability and still the
package was newer than the stable version.

Such setup is not free of side effects. I can remember, when firefox
from Sid suddenly depended on a new version of libc6, I was forced to
make a decision, whether to hold firefox at its current version,
downgrade to the stable version, use the upstream version or do a
dist-upgrade to testing since (as far as I can remember from prior
readings) an upgrade of libc6 would be kind of like a dist-upgrade.

My point is, if you only miss a small amount of packages you might
consider such a solution as a stable yet not completely "outdated"
Debian. Used with care and some common sense it can save you from
pulling to much from the not so stable distibutions, also reducing
the number of upgrades. (If I'd known how *often* upgrades happen in
testing I probably wouldn't run etch already, but I felt brave in a
weak minute ;).

I would like to point to the HOWTO I found on the web that time, but I
cannot find it now. :(
But the following docs may suffice as well:

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-apt-get.en.html#s-default-version

3.8 and 3.10 were my starter, 3.9 I ignored since I did not get the
point in doing so. With proper set pins it just requires a "aptitude
update && aptitude dist-upgrade".

Also see "man apt_preferences".

Just my 2ยข
Regards