On Sun, Feb 04, 2007 at 11:04:45PM -0500, cga2000 wrote:
> Is there any way I can have debian help me figure out if there is stuff
> that should be removed such as libraries that nothing uses -- naturally
> I did not remove a single library myself.
>
> I ran "deborphan -z" but at a glance it looks like it does not add up to
> more than 20-30Meg .. so I might as well leave well alone.

You can try some additional search modifiers of deborphan. Excerpt
from "man deborphan":

        -a, --all-packages
                      Check all the packages, instead of only those in the
                                  libs section. Best used (if at all used) in
                                  combination with  --priority. This option
implies
                                  --show-section.
        -p, --priority=PRIORITY
                      Show only those packages with a priority equal to,
                                  or greater than PRIORITY. PRIORITY may be in
the
                                  range of 1-5, or one of required, important,
standard,
                                  optional, extra. Default value for PRIORITY
is 2 (important).

But that's about all I can tell you about deborphan, since I haven't
used it for a long time.

Also debfoster2aptitude (provided by debfoster) might be of interest
for you. debfoster2aptitude because debfoster is deprecated by
aptitude, but this way you have can migrate your debfoster decision to
aptitude. It can be run in interactive mode in a shell.  It will then ask
you question about the installed packages, whether you intend to keep them
or to remove or purge them (default is to purge, but can be overridden by
setting "RemoveCmd = apt-get remove" /etc/debfoster.conf) A closer look
into the manpage of debfoster provides you with some more information on
fine tuning the behaviour when deciding which packages to consider for its
questioning, i.e.:

        debfoster2aptitude --option UseRecommends=no --mark-only

        will also try to purge packages which actually are only
        recommended by another installed package (by default debfoster
        considers recommended packages as real dependencies. And wouldn't
        purge immediately after finishing asking questions. This is only a
little
        safety net.

Important Notice!:

        Beware of the keys you press in interactive mode! Since it will be a
long
        game of question and answer, and you definitely don't want to
        press "q" after answering 100+ questions. If you get tired of
        answering you can postpone the other questions by pressing "x",
        which will save your answers before exit.

If you use apt-get, then "debfoster" is the command to use, but I'd
really suggest using aptitude. This way you get aptitude to know which
packages are really programs you want and which ones are dependencies,
that can be removed, once there is no other package depending on it.

Regards
Marcus