On 06/02/2007 Grok Mogger wrote:
> >I didn't find any documentation about that topic. All howtos/tutorials/...
> >that talk about building a xen kernel, use the original xen kernel
> >sources, not the debian kernel source with patches.
>
> You may have some need to compile your own kernel, but if you'd
> be fine with a pre-made vanilla Debian kernel, you can just
> install the appropriate Xen package.  The right one will drop a
> working Xen kernel in your /boot directory.  As I recall, you'll
> have to edit your GRUB menu.lst file and make an initrd with
> update-initramfs afterwards.  I think you want to pick one of
> the packages that starts with "xen-hypervisor".  There's a few
> of them.
>
> I hope this might save you some trouble.

Hello Grok,

I've installed xen-hypervisor-3.0.3-1-amd64, which includes
/boot/xen-3.0.3-1-amd64.gz.

Do i still need a xen-enabled host kernel, or may i use the current
self compiled kernel?

I saw that the current linux-source-2.6.18 from unstable contains a
menuconfig option 'Xen support'. I guess that i need to enable this,
and then use /boot/xen-3.0.3-1-amd64.gz as domain0 kernel.

Is that correct?

The description for xen-hypervisor-3.0-unstable-1-amd64 claims:

 In order to boot a XEN system along with this package you also need a
 kernel specifically crafted to work as the Domain 0, mediating hardware
 access for XEN itself.  An example config file for this kernel and
 documentation on how to build it can be found in the xen-docs package.

But I cannot find any example kernel config in the xen-docs package.

greetings,
 jonas