I tried today to add my only printer to CUPS from a P3 box running Etch.
 I first used CUPS's own installation wizard
(http://localhost:631/admin).  I answered all the questions about the
printer faithfully. After providing the printer information I was asked
for a user name and password, which I provided.  Next KDE Wallet asked
me if I wanted Wallet to remember my name and password, I complied.
When I got to the end, I was told that I had not selected a user and
password.

Next I tried to install the printer using kdeprint.  I went through the
same questions about the printer until I got to the screen with two
buttons on it: Test and Settings.  I checked the latter and then
selected the latter.  The application hung.  When I was able to close it
I found behind it another window asking for a password which I never saw.

At this point I looked at the lppasswd help page
(http://localhost:631/help/man-lppasswd.html?TOPIC=Man+Pages&QUERY=). It
gave me information on how to create a user and password from the
command line. So I ran lppasswd -a [my user name] and when asked entered
a password.  The command returned "Unable to open the password file:
Permission denied".

I had discovered from the CUPS password help page that passwords are
stored in a file named passwd.md5.  I then ran "find / -iname
passwd.md5" which returned "No such file or directory".

What I would really like to do is remove the password entirely, as there
are only three computers on our local LAN which only my spouse and I
use.  One of those computers is still on Sarge; for the version of CUPS
used by Sarge it is possible to comment out two lines in the cupsd.conf
file which I did.  The cupsd.conf for the version of CUPS Etch uses may
allow such commenting out, for all I know to the contrary.  However the
two conf files are sufficiently different that what worked for CUPS on
Sarge does not work for CUPS on Etch.

Does anybody know how to disable the authentication requirement for CUPS
on Etch?  If not, can anyone tell me how to get my printer set up with a
password if unavoidable?

I may say that after upwards of 200 posts on the list about making it
possible for novices to use Linux, if not necessarily Debian, primarily
by improving the documentation, this kind of problem -- and the others I
mentioned in two other posts I made to the list earlier this afternoon
-- would not inspire confidence in Linux from a novice.

                                Regards,

                                Ken Heard