On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 11:53:47AM +0100, Jonathan Kaye wrote:
> Arvind Marathe wrote:
>
> > thanks Jonathan, but have altready done that. And tried both as root and
> > user, doesn't work. Also i have added 'user' to group 'audio'. I suspect
> > it is something very trivial, but i am clueless as to what else needs to
> > be done. I cannot get sound on vlc or xmms either though i can play the
> > video.
> >
> > thanks and regards,
> > Arvind
> >
> Hmmm,
> I think you said you ran alsaconf (must be done as root). Can you try it
> again and tell me/us (the list) what the output is. Make sure that
> everything goes normally. I have never seen/heard of a case where
> alsaconf detects your card correctly and then installs the driver and
> then says, "enjoy" and the sound failed to work. I assume the card that
> alsa detects is the one that is indeed in your machine, yes?
> Cheers,
> Jonathan

jumping in the middle here so excuse me if I restate what has already
been done.

1. check the blindingly obvious -- speakers plugged in? to both the
   wall and machine, if appropriate, and to the right output on the
   sound card? are you sure there is not some stupid thing like: the
   rear jacks only work when their are front jacks connected, or when
   you set this jumper (had that happen once, took me days to figure
   out, stupid design).

2. does sound work in some "other" os?

3. what output do you get running a command line player like aplay,
   alsaplayer or mplayer from the cli?