--- Shawn Lamson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Mon, July 07 at  5:22 PM EDT
> Gary Singleton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Hi, I'm compiling a kernel using the docs provided at
> >http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html and it's all
> >good but is there a doc somewhere that explains the options in the
> >kernel configuration better?  Especially helpful would be something
> >that says 'don't say no to that one' or whatever.  Using make
> >menuconfig if it makes a diff.
> >
> >TIA, G.S.
>
> I haven't compiled anything since my current 2.4.20 but I was able to
> do
> it just by reading the help sections for options.  It is a little
> painstaking (ie. you enable one option and it opens a menu for many
> suboptions ) but it was pretty clear.  I think if you have specific
> hardware you need supported you should just look for info on that
> topic,
> rather than something comprehensive for all kernel compiles.
> HTH

Well sorta :).  That's what I've been doing but I was hoping there
might be some better docs somewhere - actually though it looks like
most of what I want is in the /usr/src/linux/Documentation - just a lot
of reading is all.

As a followup, I've been following the insructions on
http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html like I said and
everything works great until I actually install the kernel.

I use 'dpkg -i kernel-image...' and it installs as expected but when I
reboot the old kernel still loads.  I was able to get it to work by
editing /etc/lilo.conf and rerunning lilo but I'm not sure what went
wrong and I'd like to understand it.

When asked: Install a boot block using the existing /etc/lilo.conf
I answer: No - as instructed.
When asked: Wipe out your old LILO config and make a new one
I answer: Yes - as instructed
When asked: ...install a partition boot block on /dev/hda1?
I answer: yes - I originally set up debian to have the mbr on /dev/hda
Then I'm told that I don't have /boot/mbr.b and that I might have to
install the mbr package but 'dpkg -l | grep mbr' shows I have it
installed already.
Then I'm asked: make /dev/hda1 the active partition...blah
I say: yes because I only want Linux to run on this box

Then it's done and I reboot - boom, still old kernel so I check my
symlinks /vmlinuz and /vmlinuz.old point to the new and old kernel
respectively as expected - so that's OK.

So I look at /etc/lilo.conf and change boot=/dev/hda1 back to /dev/hda
and it's all good booting to new kernel.

So, I don't know where I went wrong - obviously I answered soemthing in
the script wrong but I can't figure out where should I have not made
/dev/hda1 active?  Should I not have installed a partition boot block
on /dev/hda1?  I'm not sure how I should be answering the questions.  I
want it exactly as before booting from /dev/hda but running the new
kernel.  No big deal really, I got it working OK I just would like to
understand why it didn't work at first.

Regards, G.S.