On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 21:44:08 +0100
Joe Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Ron Johnson wrote:
> >
> > On 02/11/07 14:03, Joe Hart wrote:
> >
> >> Hal Vaughan wrote:
> >>
> > [snip]
> >
> >> I am a writer, and I used Word to write my books.  Personally I
> >> don't like OO Writer.  It, just like MS Word is overblown.  I
> >> still haven't found the Perfect Word Processor, but now at least
> >>

> > What do you need in a WP?  Academic features (formal citations,
> > embedded graphics, TOC, index, etc), movie/theater formating,
> > something I haven't thought of?
> >
> > I guess what I'm asking is, "Why can't you use a full-featured
> > *text* editor?"  gvim or gedit, maybe, with a postprocessing tool to
> > reformat output to typewriter (double-spaced, with 1 inch margins &
> > headers) format?
> >
> > Such editors are definitely light-weight and ASCII files are small
> > and totally portable.
> >

> >> I can get the source code to one that I think is good, and if I
> >> can understand the code, I might even be able to make it my
> >> Perfect Word (Pun intended).
> >>

> > Only greybeards will understand that pun.
> >

>  Actually, my work is plain fiction, and the only features I need are
> basic editing, but the feature that I used the most was using headers to
> mark places and using the outline view to quickly locate different
> sections.  I am getting older (I remember having to learn WP 5.1 at
> school) and my memory isn't what it used to be.  I find myself having to
> look back to ensure that I keep names consistent.  Can't very well have
> Kathy do something then have Karmen say later that she did it.  It would
> probably help to keep index cards, but I am far to lazy.  My best
> writing comes off the cuff.

Folding is one thing that I'm missing in lyx but emacs can do that in latex
(including good searching), vim can probably do it also. There is a folding
mode for emacs that can do simple three level headers and text with folding
which might be enough for you.

> Honestly, Kword is good enough.  The biggest problem that I have is that
> I am in the Netherlands and write in English.  I can't find a publisher
> here that wants to print books in English and my Dutch isn't good enough
> to translate.
>
> I thought I could use the net and find a publisher in the U.S. but
> that's not how it works.  Most publishers wont touch writers who don't
> have an agent and agents wont touch writers that haven't published.

I'm sorry, I'm afraid I can't help there. It's probably possible to publish at
least something online. There must be some way for publishers to find new
authors.