I am running Debian Etch-testing on an old i586 system with a 32-bit AMD
K6-2 processor.  Update Manager just did its daily check, showing 22
available updates.  Among them was libc6-amd64, which the description
states is a 64-bit library "meant for AMD64 systems".

WTF ?!?!

I have been trusting Update Manager to list only updates correct for my
system, and although often not knowing whether particular updates were
needed by my system, installed them all.  Now it appears that my trust
was misplaced, to say the least.

Since I don't have the time or kmowledge to research each update offered
every day, all I can do is install all as offered, and hope for the
best.

So, I am going to go ahead and install all 22 updates today, and see
what happens.  I will try to report back - unless of course the 64-bit
update wrecks my system, making it impossible to do so.

I really would appreciate some developer feedback as to why a 64-bit
update is offered to a 32-bit system.  You know, I really don't think I
ask for much, but I think it would be nice to be able to trust Update
Manager to offer only updates which are reasonably appropriate for my
system.