Ron Johnson wrote:

You really aren't a geek, are you?

I forgot to mention another use for that machine:
I read the IR pulses from remote controls and figure out
the protocols they use. For that, I need microsecond
level timing resolution, which I can get with MSDOS,
but I doubt that Linux can provide that. It needs
immediate and direct hardware access for that.

Still not geeky?

I'll be glad to provide some software to do that, along
with the circuit diagrams for the IR receiver, if you
like, off-list.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.