On 26.02.07 14:04, David Hart wrote:
> Re-read the three paragraphs of mine that you quoted above (the first
> of which you copied and pasted from an earlier email).

No, I didn't copy/paste anything - I only quoted the email as it came to me
(and hopefully removed all useless sections and kept only those usefull).

> I am NOT asking about the advantages of smtp time rejection.
> The second of my paragraphs above make it quite clear that I do that
> myself on my own MXs but that I do it BEFORE receiving the message DATA.

actually, there is a small difference between "receiving the message" and
"receiving the message data", and maybe this is the reason why most people
don't understand each other when talking about this issue.

> I AM asking how you can scan an email through spamassassin without
> receiving the bulk of the email and how, when the scanning is turned
> off, it leads to a quadrupling of bandwidth used.

I don't think that's quadrupling, but Yes, I agree this will cause MORE data
sent across the net, and Yes, I agree that you must accept at least a part
of the message data to verify if it's spam (the same about viruses).

> > Especially if you would bounce the e-mail, you'll win this way...
>
> You should not bounce SPAM once you have accepted it for delivery.

And that is, why you win when you'll reject the spam instead of bouncing it.

> SPAMMERS USE BOGUS RETURN ADDRESSES.  If you do, YOU become part of
> the problem and the likely outcome is that either some innocent third
> party finds it in her inbox (which may well have been flooded with
> bounces from elsewhere) or your mail queue fills up with MAILER-DAEMON
> messages that keep retrying until they time out several days later.
> You may even end up bouncing the spam to yourself, but then, that IS
> entirely your own problem.

You accused me of not reading your message, but I have the feeling now you
didn't read mine...
--
Matus UHLAR - fantomas, [EMAIL PROTECTED] ; http://www.fantomas.sk/
Quantum mechanics: The dreams stuff is made of.