On Wed, 2007-02-28 at 08:15 -0800, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 04:28:02PM -0800, Michael M. wrote:
> >

> > Well I'm not really using IPv6 at all.  I disabled it.  My ISP doesn't
> > use IPv6.  When it was enabled, everything IPv6-aware that used http://
> > would time-out, most of the time.  This was some months ago and at that
> > time Konquerer was not IPv6-aware, so it worked fine.  But I'm not a KDE
> > user, so that didn't really help me much.  Besides, I got awfully tired
> > of having to ping everything first in order to get a connection.  I
> > couldn't even issue an 'aptitude update' without first pinging the
> > mirror -- 90% of the time it would time out before connecting.
> > Likewise, the only way I could load a website in w3m was by using the
> > no-IPv6 option; if I didn't specify that option, it would time-out and
> > the website wouldn't load.  Firefox and Thunderbird were also unusable,
> > until I disabled IPv6 for each in "about:config."
>
> huh. so you were using ipv6 and then disabled it and in the meantime
> konq became ipv6 aware and now it needs to have its ipv6 awareness
> disabled manually? is that the situation? if so this soudns like a bug
> as IMHO there should be a system wide config for this and konq , along
> with others, should respect that.
>
> my .02 about something which I know less than little.

I can't speak to how well konq works under those circumstances because I
don't use it.  *Before* it was IPv6-aware, it worked for me because it
didn't bother with IPv6 look-ups.

IPv6 is loaded as a module in Debian.  I disabled it
in /etc/modprobe.d/aliases, system-wide.  So I don't have any more
IPv6-related issues.  My problem may have been related to the way my
modem/router (it's one of those combo devices) and Debian/Ubuntu
interact.  For whatever reason, every other OS I tried didn't exhibit
the same problems.  From what I understand, what's supposed to happen is
that any request gets sent out over IPv6 and tunnells to IPv6-over-IPv4
when there's no IPv6 capability (which there wouldn't be if your ISP is
not providing IPv6).  That's how it worked in OS X -- ifconfig showed an
IPv6 address, but it was bypassed and all http requests worked fine,
with no perceptible delay.  If you look through Debian bug reports,
you'll see a lot of complaints about delays or time-outs related to IPv6
look-ups, many dating from 2003-04.

IPv6 might work fine in Debian for people who actually have a use for
it, and might not cause any problems for many others who don't but have
different hardware.  I just know that for me, it's presence caused a lot
of problems, and those problems went away when I found out how to
disable it system-wide.

--
Michael M. ++ Portland, OR ++ USA
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions