Eduard Bloch wrote:
#include <hallo.h>
* Roberto C. Sanchez [Mon, Mar 12 2007, 07:06:43PM]:
On Mon, Mar 12, 2007 at 11:34:48PM +0100, Mathias Brodala wrote:
Hi Roberto.

I see. I was asking since I have a whole drive full of videos and such which are
usually between 100MB and 300MB per file. So I guess XFS would not really be the
best choice for them. I got ext3 everywhere at the moment and wondered if I
could get a bit more performance by using another filesystem. And since I only
used ext3 up until now, I don???t really know which other filesystem to trust.

I would certainly trust XFS.  Of course, if you don't have your machine
on an UPS, it can cause problems on a crash or power outage.  How are

Great, that is the usual propaganda from XFS users with the same lame
excuse written with small letters. It has this bad tendency to shred the
file contents after powerouts or sudden kernel crashes... silently
inserting lots of 0x0s, IIRC sometimes only a 512 byte block, sometimes
filling the rest of a file after a certain position. I cannot prove it
either, it is just the experience which I had every time after I tried
XFS in the last years. And every time I came back to ext3 where I can
not remember such trouble.

Eduard.

This happened in the past. But I haven't experienced it recently. The general propaganda for XFS is justified in my opinion. I've never seen an XFS filesystem explode in the same way a Reiser or Ext3 one, i.e lose of the entire filesystem. And the fs support tools are very nice.

There again everyone has their story of "I had this happen with X filesystem so I switched to Y and it never happened again (in the mean time I replaced my crappy hardware with newer stuff which actually fixed the issues I was having, but I won't mention that for the sake of tooting my chosen fs's horn), so Y filesystem is the greatest filesystem on Earth and you must use it or be labelled a noob. *roaring BOFH laugh*".

XFS is good for big files, I have big files, I like XFS ...