On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 05:02:00 -0700
Freddy Freeloader <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> L.V.Gandhi wrote:

> >> using
> >> wg11t

> >> I used the kernel driver as well. It was a disaster om my Dell Inspiron
> >> 510m. In stead of 54Mbit I'd get only +-10Mbit due mainly to lost
> >> packages.
> >> Installing ndiswrapper solved the problem.

I thought that '54Mb' is only a theoretical maximmum, and that
realistically 20 / 30 Mb is the best one can expect; 10 doesn't sound
that bad, depending on the distance to the AP. What's the (actual, not
reported) throughput with ndiswrapper?

> >> Jan
> >>
> > In my inspiron 600m also bcm43xx didn't work. I had to go to ndiswrapper.
> >
> Yeah, bcm43xx is a real problem on my machine.  I once got it to work,
> but only with open ap's, and since I won't run an open ap that was as
> far as that went.  However, with newer kernels it makes my system very
> unstable.  The system will hang for several seconds at a time and do it
> so often that the system is basically unusable, windows that are not
> maximized will jump around on the desktop, and other strange behavior.
> I've had to go with ndiswrapper to get it to work at all.

The truth is that so far I've only used it with an open AP (a public
hot spot); I haven't tried it on my home network yet. I am using it
with a 2.6.18 kernel, though, and I haven't noticed any instability.
[Incidentally, I saw your posts regarding bcm43xx on d-l after I sent
my message ...]

Celejar