I assume that in alsamixer, at the bottom of each slide there should a "00" indication, not "MM", to indicate "open". The "master" and "PCM" (What is PCM?) were "00" and full on, but not the others. For good measure I changed them all to "00" and full on. I still could not open an audio CD or a newscast.

I then exited my user and entered it again. As instructed I ran "aplay /usr/share/sound/alsa/*.wav" which returned the following:

aplay: main:550: audio open error: Device or resource busy

I find that strange, as the the CDROM drive was empty, nor could I see any application open, except icedove and a terminal emulator.

                                Regards,

                                Ken Heard