First, further to Andrew Sackville-West's (ASW) admonition "Ken -- keep on plugging away... you're getting closer", yes I am closer -- much closer in fact -- but not out of the woods yet.

In view the fact that the first thing everybody advised me to do was to disable artsd. On examination I found out that artsd is a KDE creation which wants to monopolize all sound operations to the exclusion of all others, even others part of the KDE empire, such as KsCD and Kaffeine.

It was then a simple matter to disable artsd as suggested by Nigel Henry (NH) by unchecking the "Enable the sound system" box in KDE's control centre/Sound and Multimedia/Sound system. For good measure I ran as suggested by ASW "killall artsd", which produced a null return.

Also, as suggested by NH, I ran "cat /proc/asound/cards", which returned the following:

 0 [OPL3SA23       ]: OPL3SA2 - Yamaha OPL3-SA23
                      Yamaha OPL3-SA23 at 0x538, irq 5, dma 1&0

(Yes, Raffaele Morelli, I do need to educate myself about killing processes as you suggested. Hitherto I have never felt the need to kill anything but pesky insects. That exercise is however for another time.)

Then, as previously suggested by ASW, I ran "aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/*.wav". Lo and behold, I was greeted with a series of words: "front and centre", "keep right", and several others in the same vein.

So, I now felt I should try play an audio CD. I inserted one in the drive. After at least 30 seconds, a window entitled "Audio CD KDE daemon" appeared, telling me that a new medium had been detected, and what did I want to do? The medium was identified as an audio CD, information I already knew.

I was then given five options: open in a new window, extract and encode audio tracks, play, play CD with Kaffeine and do nothing. I first chose the simplest, play, which I discovered opened the KsCD window. However, I was unable to play. (Before I made all the changes described above, I had tried to use noatun, with the same result.) So, I closed the KsCD window, went back to the Audio CD KDE daemon window, chose "do nothing" and closed that window. I was then able to eject the disk.

I then reinserted the Audio CD. When in due course I got the Audio CD KDE daemon I chose the Kaffeine option. To my shock and amazement the CD started to play. The sound was also accompanied by fireworks, sun spots and similar kaleidoscopic visuals on the screen. I am sure the additional memory required for these inhibited the smooth functioning of the audio, as there were frequent short gaps in the audio continuity.

I then tried a telecast using Kaffeine.  I got the audio but not the video.

The major lesson I have drawn from this experience it that there is a plethora of audio (and video?) applications vying for the custom of my laptop. One in particular (arts) seems to have the power to exclude all the others, but then misuses this power by denying any audio (and video?) at all.

I consequently wonder whether any other sound application is sufficiently powerful to exclude all others, such as KsCD and noatun, but not Kaffeine. It was with this possibility in view I included the following two paragraphs two posts ago:

"Another factor may or may not be relevant. Two days ago I compiled from source and installed dosemu-1.3.4. The installation was successful in that it is allowing me to use my beloved dos based applications. However, the last message returned by ./configure was a warning that SDL version 1.2.0 was not found.

"I consequently installed four packages which had sdl in the name: libsdl1.2debian, libsdl1.2debian-alsa, libsdl-net1.2 and libsdl-sound1.2. I tried to purge these packages, but aptitude wanted to remove a whole series of other packages including grub and icedove. So I did not remove them. I also tried to remove them using Kpackage, but Kpackage wanted to remove all of KDE. So these four sdl packages remain installed. (By the way, why do aptitude and Kpackage want to remove different apparent dependencies? But I digress.)"

Could these packages are also competing to provide sound on the laptop and are powerful enough to prevent use of either noatun or KsCD? I ask because I finally remembered that before I had installed dosemu-1.3.4 and these four sdl packages I had been able to listen to audio CDs with noatun. Now I cannot.

Any opinions on this matter? In any event, as I do not seem to need these packages for dosemu, I should remove them -- once I figure out how to do so *without* removing key packages. I also really wonder whether I need to keep the arts set of packages.

                                Regards,

                                Ken Heard