On Sat, Mar 17, 2007 at 05:00:21AM -0500, Adam Porter wrote:
> Thanks for your replies, everyone.  It seems to me that there might be a
> market for a simple script frontend to tar that would handle shell-expanded
> wildcards; perhaps it could be included in Debian's package of tar.  Would
> that be a good idea?  Does anything like that already exist?

You use find to spit out a list of the files you want (you _may_ be able
to just use ls -1 .tar), pipe that through xargs.  Something like this:

        ls -1 .tar.gz | xargs tar [tar options -f ]

for each line of input it receives, xargs will tack it to the end of the
command line you give it (in the example, it will be tacked on after the
-f).

I have not tested this, YMMV.

Doug.