On 2007-03-18, Andrei Popescu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Some of your values seem very high. Though according to Google's
> report even 1 indicates failure to come. For comparison here are my
> values:
>
> Reallocated_Sector_Ct         0
>  Reallocated_Event_Count      0
>
> I hope you get to finish your backup.

I did, thanks!

Well, the values do seem high. But from what I've read, the attributes
and their raw values are vendor-dependent, and it's the normalized
values that should be used:

"Each Attribute has a six-byte raw value (RAW_VALUE) and a one-byte
normalized value (VALUE). ...  The format of the raw data is
vendor-specific and not specified by any standard. To track disk
reliability, the disk's firmware converts the raw value to a
normalized value ranging from 1 to 253. If this normalized value is
less than or equal to the threshold (THRESH), the Attribute is said to
have failed, as indicated in the WHEN_FAILED column. ..."

"The names/meanings of Attributes and the interpretation of their raw
values is not specified by any standard. Different manufacturers
sometimes use the same Attribute ID for different purposes. "

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/6983

My disk isn't in the database, so as I understand it what is reported
as Reallocated_Sector_Ct could actually be something else
entirely. I would be happy to be corrected. At this point, I've run
the smartctl scan without errors, as well as the PC-Doctor scan from
the Windows XP partition, also without error. Not that I think the
PC-Doctor is better, but apparently I'd need to have documented errors
with PC-Doctor to get Lenovo to replace the drive under warranty.

Any further suggestions for how to assess or protect my system would
be welcome. I don't know of anything else to do, so I'm going to
cautiously continue, with regular backups. Tomorrow may be a good day
to buy an external hard drive...

--
Regards,

Tyler Smit