On 3/19/07, Greg Folkert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Of course, you could point out that about 60% of existing popular
distributions are originally derived and modified from Debian.

I spent all of last summer trying to educate the managers.  I've given
up.  They won't read or listen.  They have heard that Linux users tend to
be emotional fans of their particular distro and can present any
information to back up their favorite.  One particular person has the
personality of Captain Kirk.  But he is one that won't listen to his Spock.

It is pointless to say something like "it is straightforward if you know
how", when the there is nothing hinted within the installer to tell
that user of the alternates as they smash into the problem.
(Hint: put a message into the installer scenario where there is no
hard drive to install onto).  My manager didn't want any hand holding to
evaluate Debian.  He installed it on a notebook, had problems and
thought it proved what he had read about Debian being old.

You are wrong about Redhat not updating the kernel.  We had a new 64bit
Intel machine come in a few months back.  A techie tried to install his
standard RH 4 on it and no go.  He got the "update 4" version of the
installer from Redhat, and away he went.

For the sake of the discussion, the hardware is not uniform and the servers
are uniquely roled (cyrus, tomcat, custom web apps, MX, postgres DB, etc.).

The first step to solving a problem is recognition that there is one, but
I don't think we are getting that far in these exchanges.  I feel that
Debian has more resources than any commercial distribution.  The number
of supported platforms is one evidence of that. The number of developers and
users (including downstream distros) is another.  It is just a matter of
making
things a priority and deciding how and where to make this happen.  I'm also
hinting strongly here, that fixing this issue would go a long way to
improving
Debian's adoption in heavy IT centres where management has too many
thumbs in the pie.  It might even cut out the losses from people going to
Ubuntu and the like.

--Donald