On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 08:09:19PM -0700, David E. Fox wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 19:51:35 -0400
> Michael Pobega <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > something stable that won't break every six months (Of course I can
> > just not dist-upgrade, but then I wouldn't get ANY package upgrades).
>
> Can you not do something much like to 'aptitude update && aptitude
> upgrade" on Ubuntu, no matter what flavor? Case in point - I had a
> guest box over here for a couple of months, and I installed Ubuntu
> Edgy on it. After the initial install, configuration, and such, I
> kept it up to date with the Edgy repository by simply doing that,
> just like I would have done on Debian Etch/testing on my main machine,
> although of course, the packages & sources list pointed to Ubuntu and
> not Debian repositories.

The trouble isn't in the commands, it's in the execution of the
commands. Like I said, I tried to "upgrade" into the newer releases
rather than reinstall from a CD. And as I said in my last message,
upon "update && dist-upgrade" my system broke.

And it's not just me. I've noticed that a lot of people get the same
problem from Ubuntu upgrades. That isn't to say that nobody can
upgrade their Ubuntu system, but I personally believe that 75% of
upgrades fail, at least on a minor scale.