On Wed, 21 Mar 2007, Justin Hartman wrote:

Soma thanks for your input - by removing bind and playing with
resolv.conf it is apparent that this file was causing certain issues.

I have now installed resolvconf and after rebooting resolvconf
configured only one line in resolv.conf file as follows:

nameserver: 127.0.0.1

Prior to installing resolvconf I had the following setup:

nameserver 213.133.98.97
nameserver 213.133.98.98
nameserver 213.133.98.96

Unfortunately I still have the same problems though even with
resolvconf installed.

Regards
Justin

so with a clean bind install you still are not able to do lookups?
what does  host google.com 127.0.0.1 give you?
it should return something like this:
host google.com 127.0.0.1
Using domain server:
Name: 127.0.0.1
Address: 127.0.0.1#53
Aliases:

google.com has address 72.14.207.99
google.com has address 64.233.167.99
google.com has address 64.233.187.99
google.com mail is handled by 10 smtp1.google.com.
google.com mail is handled by 10 smtp2.google.com.
google.com mail is handled by 10 smtp3.google.com.
google.com mail is handled by 10 smtp4.google.com.

that will tell us if your bind install is working ok.

---
Human beings were created by water to transport it uphill.