Rick Dooling wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I had Windows XP on a ThinkPad T40. I used partition
> magic 8 to create a 20 gig empty partition at the end
> of logical drive E before installing Debian Etch.
>
> Installation went fine. I can boot to both Windows XP
> and Debian. Everything appears to work fine, but I get
> horrible warnings if I try to start partition magic.
>
> And when I run fdisk -l inside Debian Etch,
> I get this:
>
> Disk /dev/hda: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
> 16 heads, 63 sectors/track, 155061 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 1008 * 512 = 516096 bytes
>
>    Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id
>  System
> /dev/hda1   *           1       71835    36204808+   7
>  HPFS/NTFS
> Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary.
> /dev/hda2           71836      110384    19428224    f
>  W95 Ext'd (LBA)
> Partition 2 does not end on cylinder boundary.
> /dev/hda3          110384      155056    22515097+  83
>  Linux
> Partition 3 does not end on cylinder boundary.
> /dev/hda5           71836       92160    10243768+   7
>  HPFS/NTFS
> /dev/hda6           92161      108360     8164768+   7
>  HPFS/NTFS
> /dev/hda7          108376      110384     1012063+  82
>  Linux swap / Solaris
>
> I don't care about running partition magic or dos
> fdisk. I don't feel like repartitioning. Is it somehow
> unstable if I just continue using mainly Etch and boot
> occasionally into Windows for the odd program?
>
> On other threads I've seen people say that Linux
> doesn't care about the cylinder boundaries. True, or
> will I eventually have problems even if I don't
> repartition?

AFAIK, everything will work fine.

Quote from http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/partitions/partition_types-2.html

>The Head value of CHS begin is not 0 or 1. PartitionMagic expects all
>FAT, HPFS and NTFS partitions to start and end on cylinder boundaries.
>(Comment: Windows NT on Alpha does not comply with this rule, and can
>create partitions starting on arbitrary sectors. There is no known
>operating system that requires this restriction. However, there exists
>software that tries to guess the disk geometry by looking at the CHS
>start and end values in a partition table. Note that with large disks
>CHS values are entirely meaningless.)

Still, I would recommend that you request your money back and use a
decent free program like gparted to do the partitioning.  Explain that
the product is defective because it creates invalid partitions, and show
them the error you see.

- --