On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 08:30:09 -0400
Michael Pobega <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 08:14:34AM -0300, Bruno Buys wrote:
> > From time to time I grab a diferent OS to install and try my hands at
> > it. This time was OpenSolaris. The thing is, at some point in the
> > install, OpenSolaris throws a license at my face that doesn't seem open
> > at all. I can run the software, but I can't redistribute, copy, etc. I
> > am no law expert, but that license doesn't seem really open or free.
> > As far as I could tell, at least grub and (a javified version of) gnome
> > are free, and OpenSolaris is using it. Maybe it uses other free
> > software. So, doesn't that license conflicts with the gpl?
> > Its not to flame Sun, I know the company has contributed a lot with the
> > community, and many folks respects them. Just trying to get things clearer.
> >

>  From what I remember, OpenSolaris is distributed under the CDDL
> license[0]. The license is actually written by Sun, and according to
> the Wikipedia article "The [FSF] considers it a free license
> incompatible with the GNU General Public License (GPL)". I guess this
> means that although it is free, it isn't free under GPL standards
> (What other licenses are, anyway? I believe BSD it, but I don't know
> of any others).
>
> The controversy section on the Wikipedia page may be the most
> informative to you, considering where you asked this question[1].
>

> [0] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Development_and_Distribution_License
> [1]
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Development_and_Distribution_License#Controversy

IIUC, controversy over whether the CDDL is FSF / GPL compatible is at
the heart of the removal of cdrtools from Debian and its replacement
with that forked thing whose name escapes me at the moment. Joerg and
Roberto have battled vigorously over this here on this list (as well as
on other Debian lists, according to Google).

Celejar