Paul Walsh wrote on Friday, March 30, 2007 2:23 AM -0600:

> Seth Goodman wrote:
>
> > Most people could not complete a Linux install without a phone call
> > to tech support.  I suspect that's one part of the reason there are
> > so few no-OS boxes.  When the install doesn't turn out right, their
> > first call is to the people who sold them the hardware, even though
> > that's the least likely place to have a problem.  Technically
> > sophisticated users do not tend to do this, but that's a pretty
> > small market.
> >

> But surely the people most likely to buy no-OS boxes are also most
> likely to be clued up when it comes to installation? Someone new to
> Linux (or computing in general) isn't likely to buy a box without an
> OS on it, just as a newly qualified driver isn't likely to buy a car
> without an engine in it (unless they happen to be an auto-mechanic,
> of course).

That's true as long as the price is the same.  Other posters in this
thread have given credible arguments why mainstream PC vendors have a
similar cost whether they install Windows or not.  If PC vendors
nonetheless did offer a no-OS box at a lower price, people who are not
capable of Linux installation would buy them and immediately call when
they can't install their personal choice of Linux distro.

As far as separating hardware from software issues, the suggestion of a
live CD for hardware diagnostics is a good one.  Unfortunately, when an
unsophisticated user calls, you still have to spend time convincing
them to run the hardware diagnostic CD first, and that costs you money.
Even if you can prove the hardware is working properly, very few
unsophisticated users would accept the situation they are left in,
having spent money and yet without a usable computer.  Returning the
computer sticks the PC vendor with a used machine that they have to
retest before selling it at a discount, and the original customer has
to pay more money for a pre-installed OS box.  This is a lose-lose
scenario, so you can't fault PC vendors for trying to avoid it.

--
Seth Goodman