Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:
> Sometime before, I read on this list that it is unwise to mix apt-get and
> aptitude. By mix, I mean using apt-get one time and aptitude another time.
> The reason given was that both of them use different databases. Is this
> true for synaptic and aptitude as well? Can I use synaptic sometimes and
> aptitude some other times? Any ideas?
>
> I am using Etch (testing) if it matters.

There was a long discussion about this, as you recall. The results are
summarised on the NewbieDOC wiki [1]. Basically, you run

        # aptitude install -sf

to see whether Aptitude is confused. If so, run a fix. The global fix is

        # aptitude keep-all

[1]
http://newbiedoc.berlios.de/wiki/Aptitude_-_using_together_with_Synaptic_and_Apt-get

HTH,