On 04/18/2007 08:10 AM, Greg Folkert wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-04-18 at 07:28 -0400, Michael S. Peek wrote:
>> Florian Kulzer wrote:

>>> Is the second user a member of the "audio" group?
>>>

>> Yes.  Is there anything else I can check?
>
> If the logout and login happens quickly, perhaps esound for the other
> person is not ending soon enough.
>
> You might look and see if things are hanging around for the other user.
>
> Oh, this might be important too if you are using fast user switching in
> GNOME, which just opens a new X on the next VT.

I had this no-sound problem (sans the error message) on a sarge system
that was never solved.  As Greg suggests, check what processes the user
left running (ps -ef |grep username) and see if esound is locked to
another user (ps -ef |grep esd , then iirc, check the sockets in /tmp
for username).

Good luck,
Ralph