On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 20:16:18 -0400
Amy Templeton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> dijo:

> If you're looking for growisofs (which is the impression I'm
> getting from some of the earlier posts to this thread), it's
> included in dvd+-rw-tools, which is a package that is
> definitely in Lenny and may or may not be in Etch (sorry,
> I'm lazy).
>
> Note that I discovered this with an "apt-cache search" for
> growisofs--it pulled up the correct result despite growisofs
> not being the name of the package. It's a very useful tool
> if you don't mind a little terminal.

Yep. You're right, growisofs is within dvd+rw-tools. However, dvd
+rw-tools is already installed, so growisofs is not the solution.

I first ran into this problem a few weeks ago on Ubuntu Edgy. If I
recall correctly, I googled and did not discover anything that sounded
like a solution. I did discover that mkisofs had a file size limit of 2
GB and growisofs was the upgrade to increase it to 4 GB. I was hoping
that Etch would finally bring us up to current standards. :(

It sounds like the legendary "640K ought to be enough for anyone." (OK,
that is popularly attributed to Gates, but in fact, he never said it.)
Nevertheless, I am frustrated and I can't understand why I am facing a
file size limit that is seriously out of date. Maybe there is a real
reason for limiting the file size and I don't grasp what it is because
I'm not a programmer. All I know is that I have a two double layer DVD
drives in the new computer that I just built and each double layer DVD
can hold over 8 GB. And if I wanted to get a blue ray drive it could
hold vastly more. So it's time for Linux to move up.

I have been using Ubuntu for the past year on my laptop, and it's my
first foray into Linux. When I built the new computer I set up several
partitions in order to play with different distros. I wanted to gain
more experience. I tried CentOS, Fedora 7, Mandriva, OpenSUSE and a
couple more. Finally Etch was released so I tried it, and I have to
say, I am ready to dump all the RPM distros. When I started working
with Etch I was back home again. Mostly I love Synaptic. In the past I
kvetched about Synaptic now and then, but after trying RPM distros, I
take back all the bad things I said about Synaptic. Debian rules!

OK, Ubuntu Feisty final will be released on the 19th. Actually, as I
write this it is just before 6 pm PST, which means that it is already
the 19th in Europe. Ubuntu's main site confirms that it will be
released "tomorrow." There is a mirror at my university and I can take
my laptop with an ethernet cable and get it super fast. As soon as I
have it on a CD I'm going to install it and take it for a spin. I can
tell y'all this -- the new computer is going to be Feisty or Etch. Or
maybe I'll leave both on it and dual boot. But if Feisty has cracked
the 4 GB file size limit on writing DVDs, that will probably turn my
head toward Feisty. I need to do this all the time.

Meantime, I'll get past the current problem by splitting the file in
two as suggested by Kamaraju (thanks!). I can put both pieces on the
same CD, since each piece will be well under 4 GB. But if anyone has
any other suggestions that might get past the 4 GB file size limit, I'm
all ears.

Thanks for the suggestions. :)