On 05/10/07 04:40, Joe Hart wrote:
> Ron Johnson wrote:
> [snip]
>>> I am playing the Devil's advocate here.  So I might as well fulfill my
>>> role.  So, you're saying God was merciful on Isaac because a lamb was
>>> sacrificed instead.  Fine.  So God demanded cruelty to an animal, which
>>> is also against our modern laws.
>> Cruelty?  Where does that come from?
>
>> Or are you a vegan?
>
> No, but I don't think it is right to kill an animal for any purpose than
> to eat it, or perhaps to end it's suffering.  But, that's where we can
> come in and say:  Ah, but to kill it does relieve its suffering because
> by definition living is suffering if one does not have the intelligence
> of a human being.  Actually that brings us also to the point of
> euthanasia and it not being legal in your "free" country.

Suicide should be legal, but euthanasia is "someone else killing
you", and I see that as a great slippery slope towards total
government control over life.

>>> Either way one looks at it, the Bible is condoning behavior that is no
>>> longer accepted as being morally just.  Or perhaps it is just telling us
>>> what happened, so we can learn from the past.  I can't say that seems
>>> very evident looking at many of the things that happen today.
>> Shedding the blood of animals to *cover* human sin was what YHWH
>> demanded.
>

> I just don't get how killing something else can atone for your sins.
> penitence must occur to oneself, not to another being.

And I don't think there is "sin", since I'm an atheist.

Although I do believe that there is "evil".  Is that contradictory?

>> Jesus' death and the shedding of His blood permanently *washed* away
>> all human sin.
>
>> Note the different words I used: *cover*, which is temporary and why
>> Jews had to make yearly sacrifices, and *washed* which is permanent.
>>  The Law is now fulfilled, and now all that is left is for man to
>> believe.
>
>> That, at least, is the way I was taught it by the Assemblies of God.
>
>>> I really just wish that Christians would adhere to the lessons that they
>>> so firmly believe in.  But alas, we have a whole lot of people that seem
>>> to do well on Sunday and forget about the rest of the week.
>>> Is it a turn the other cheek world we live in or is the eye for an eye
>>> world?
>
> So which world do you think we live in?

In a hypocritical world.

And I believe that a little hypocrisy is a good thing, and needed
for the smooth functioning of society.

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA