cga2000 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>  On Thu, May 17, 2007 at 09:06:41PM EDT, s. keeling wrote:
> >
> > BTW, on many systems these days, .Xdefaults is deprecated and
> > .Xresources is used instead.  ymmv.
>
>  Interesting.  .Xdefaults still works on debian etch. Did you "deprecate"
>  it in what is it .. lenny?  Is this documented anywhere?

This happened years ago, and I believe you can blame upstream for it,
not FOSS.  Nowadays, ~/.Xdefaults is often a symbolic link that points
to ~/.Xresources.

> > RXVTNEWSFONT='-*-*-medium-r-*-*-*-100-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1'
> > alias news='rxvt +sb -fn "$RXVTNEWSFONT" -geometry 136x56+37+21 -e ...
>
>  Why keep things clean and simple and use an X resources file when it's
>  a lot more fun making them messy & complicated, heh?  I was talking of

It is clean and simple, and I do use ~/.Xresources where I have a
standard font defined that I want to use in terminals.  slrn is an
exception to the rule.

(*)    http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling          Linux Counter #80292
       Spammers! http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling/emails.html