On Tuesday 22 May 2007, Celejar wrote:

> Lots of sigs are "derogatory of another culture" - those mocking
> religion, or liberal / conservative / other political views.

It may help people to remember that another person cannot define you or
tell anyone who you are, what kind of culture you are part of, or what
is good or bad about your political views -- unless you are weak enough
to let them.

I'm a member of a religious group that does get mocked at times and even
made fun of.  What Joe Blow says about my religion only tells me what
*he* thinks and, indirectly, but just as accurately, what he thinks and
what kind of person he is.  If Joe Blow feels a need to go around and
denigrate my religion, political views, or ethnic background, all that
does is tell us what Joe Blow thinks and how his Mother must not have
raised him to have respect for others and that he's a big mouth blow
hard.  It says nothing about what I know to be true.

No one can offend you without your implicit permission to offend.  When
we are offend by someone talking trash about us, it is because we are
letting that person define us instead of remembering that their
statements have no effect on the truth.

Maybe many of us should stop being influenced by the sound and fury of
those who have some need to tear down others.  (And remember, that
sound and fury was but a tale told by an idiot!)

Hal