On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 10:05:27AM EDT, Miles Fidelman wrote:
> Mike Bird wrote:
> >I apologize for Marco.  I admit none of his posts have been
> >about religion or politics.  However, I confess to being
> >supportive of his OT suggestion that debian-user return to
> >the kinds of subject matter that once made it useful.
> >
> I'd sort of be happy to get back to off topic discussions.
>
> At this point this meta-topic "rampant offtopic and offensive posts to
> debian-user" seems to be dominating list traffic.
>
> From the archives, as of a few minutes ago:
> - total messages today (5/22): 69
> - total re: "rampant offtopic and offensive posts to debian-user" 15 (22%)
> - total otherwise marked OT or offtopic: 2 (3%)
> - other (on-topic) messages: 52 (75%)
>
> Of the on-topic messages, they cover 24 topics, not one of which has
> more than 4 messages.
>
> So... I'm led to conclude that:
>
> i. 24 different useful topics (at least, presumably useful to someone)
> have been addressed - quickly and succinctly
>
> ii. the spate of off-topic conversation, from a few days ago, has
> largely died out

Well, yes .. That was the hidden purpose of this thread.  Amazing so
many of you gentleman fell for it.

> iii. a few blow-hards are still polluting the list with complaints about
> "rampant offtopic posting" and calls for banning people, moderation,
> rule changes, and so forth
>
> Personally, I'm pretty adept at scanning headers and using my delete
> key, and find all of this pretty amusing, but still... enough is enough
> already.

> Get a life.

That's what I have been thinking all along.  The half a dozen compulsive
posters on this list _must_ take a sabbatical of sorts .. Having the
debian user list as the focal point of their existence is unnatural. No
good will ever come of this.

Thanks,
cga