Wackojacko wrote:

> I would purge the non legacy nvidia packages (marked rc) and then try to
> upgrade the nvidia-glx-legacy package as the version is slightly
> different to the module package (-3 versus +6).

Makes a lot of sense. I cleaned out everything, until 'dpkg -l' did show no
more 'nvidia', rebooted, and followed the detailed description in
http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers
Thanks to the maintainer ! A great description !
Now I have the self-compiled nvidia-kernel-legacy-2.6.18-4-k7 on the same level
as the nvidia-glx-legacy
from m-a update - m-a prepare - m-a auto-install nvidia-kernel-legacy-source.
(The different versions were a result from the difference in the repository,
not on my side.)
Then I did apt-get install nvidia-glx-legacy.
Alas, the same result of a fatal server crash. Last resort: I ran Xorg with the
XF86Config with which Sarge had been working properly, and hit the same snag.

Now I have only one thing left to do: consider this a bug; a show-stopper for
me, since I use the box to get movies on the TV-output for viewing on the TV in
the living room.
I also removed the GLcore and speedo from the xorg.conf, so the problem
remains, while nvidia and glx are loaded properly (see attachment), before
everything dies.
(No, there is no change of hardware compared to Sarge, on which everything was
okay; only the update to Etch.)

As an aside: I tried the nvidia-legacy-check.sh, and it says my card is
supported by current. I have some doubts here, since NVIDIA says differently.
The card is GeForce 4 MX420.

Uwe

Please Cc: to me; the list is too busy for my newsreader