In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Jimmy Johansson  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Thanks for all replies, , they were very helpful! I got confused by the
>rm at the beginning of nologin and couldn't find a man page for it. Then I
>got lazy and asked about makedev and quotarpc also, instead of reading the
>manpages.
>
>So I will leave nologin and makedev alone but I think I will remove
>quotarpc and see what happends.

Why not purge the package that provided it, instead of manually
mucking around with debian-installed files ?

>I installed the quota pakage, could that be where quotarpc comes from?

dpkg -S /etc/init.d/quotarpc will tell you. If it is, then
dpkg --purge quota will remove the package completely.

By the way, /etc/init.d/quotarpc is a shell script which is
easily readable. If you do that you'll see that the rpc.rquotad
daemon is only started if you have quotas enabled on the local
filesystem and are exporting filesystems over NFS. Otherwise,
the script does nothing.

And if you do have quotas enabled and you are exporting filesystems
over NFS to another box, you do actually want to have that daemon
running.

So basically there's no need to muck around with the initscript
by hand. It will do the right thing automatically.

Mike.