Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
On Sat, Jun 09, 2007 at 06:36:59PM +0100, andy wrote:
Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
On Sat, Jun 09, 2007 at 06:06:38PM +0100, andy wrote:
Greetings Debianistas

My wife's machine (Debian Etch, clean install) is consistently showing Europe/Guernsey (BST) in its clock settings and somehow this is always one hour ahead of real time. I have checked the BIOS clock which is set to the regular time and I don't think that it is set to UTC. Also, the time-zone should read Europe/London. I have tried numerous ways of altering this, even killing off gdm so that I can login as root to fix it in Gnome. Then, reboot, and it's back to being 1 hour ahead again.

What can I do to fix this, as it is a real PITA to keep having to fix it for her, and let's face it, it shouldn't be necessary to do so.

Is the timezone set in her environment?  What does /etc/localtime link
to?

Regards,

-Roberto

Hi Roberto

How do I find out what /etc/localtime links to? It is a binary file. There doesn't appear to be a config file, nor any man pages.

Thanks

As root

        tzconfig

Set the time to UTC (probably under 12 - other time zones)

hwclock --systohc
Set the BIOS clock to UTC

In KDE, set the clock to use local time zone and point that at Europe/London

Hope this helps,

Andy

Thanks Andy

I sudo tzconfig and adjusted it specifically to Europe/London then entered sudo hwclock --systohc and after a pause got a message back "select() to /dev/rtc to wait for clock tick timed out" I rebooted the machine, and saw the same message in the closing messages when it reached the point about saving system time. Checked in the BIOS, which is giving the correct time. Loaded KDE and went to configure the clock and it still reports TZ as Guernsey. I ran tzconfig again and this time it reported /Europe/London. Unfortunately, the clock is still 1 hour ahead, despite this.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the
answers." - Thomas Pynchon, "Gravity's Rainbow"