I've got about 300 servers out there using lprng.
My 1st run-in with cups gave me some surprises.
1) Removing cups generally removes X, desktop, etc...
2) lpstat no longer works (at least in the same manner, depending on the flavor of Linux)... 3) Manual intervention into cups setup tends to get overwritten on every re-boot. (didn't take time to figure this one out...) I have about 500 users at client sites that know how to use my scripts that manage lprng. So, with lprng, I don't have to have technical people involved in setting up and/or maintaining printers. To implement a change from lprng to cups would involve weeks of development and months of implementation.
So! If you want lprng... - after a fresh install of linux:
1) Stop the cups processes:
for i in /etc/init.d/cups*; do; $i stop; done
2) Edit the init scripts for cups and add the line "exit 0" at the top of each one, effectively disabling cups.
vi /etc/init.d/cups*
3) install lprng
4) install your home-grown lprng management tools.
Enjoy!
Larry Irwin