On Mon, Jun 18, 2007 at 08:54:30PM -0400, j j wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have been have trouble with my debian box(64 studio).  i just discovered
> that
> /etc directory is missing.  I dont think i deleted it, but it seems that I
> must
> have.

Perhaps not.

Things to look at:

- you haven't mounted something on /etc, have you? Although insanely
  stupid, pls don't be offended. When weird things happen, it's time to
  be insanely paranoid... (/proc/mounts should tell)

- You haven't chroot'ed yourself, have you? (I know. Paranoia...)

- Anything in the system logs? (things like re-mounting read-only or
  filesystem corruption would be very interesting...)

I am surprised that you don't mention any other problems - if /etc/ was
really really gone, I'd expect loads of other problems.  Hence the
somewhat paranoid checks...

Hope this helps
--
Karl E. Jorgensen