John Hasler wrote:
Celejar writes:

What does it even mean for a file format to be open? That the creator
can't restrict its use?

The creator of a format cannot restrict its use.

They why was there a big flap when Unisys restricted use of GIF?
You might have a look here http://lpf.ai.mit.edu/Patents/Gif/Gif.html

All patents require full disclosure, but disclosure does not
mean that use of an invention is unrestricted.

That the spec has been published?

Yes.

Which does not mean that the use is unrestricted, AFAIK.

IANAL

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.