Hello.

I am a fairly basic user of Debian.

I have this computer, which runs sarge (for the present), and my laptop, which has just been upgraded to etch.

In trying to find what had happened to the package pgaccess, an interface for PostgreSQL, I posted a message asking about it on the PosgreSQL "general" list. The response was that not much had been done for a while on that application or package, and I was referred to pgadmin.

In searching using Synaptic, on both of my computers, I found that on the etch installation, I have pgadmin installed, and phppgadmin, and, on the sarge installation, pgaccess is listed in Synaptic, with no other information about it (no version numbers, or information about it).

So, I looked in all of the sub-menu's in the Applications menu's on both computers.

On the etch installation, I could not find any references to any databases, apart from finding MySQL Query in Applications->Programming. Apart from having pgadmin and phppgadmin, and associated packages installed, as shown in Synaptic, I also have PostgreSQL 8.1 and associated packages installed, and MySQL 5.0 installed on the etch installation.

However, on the sarge installation, in the Applications menu, in Applications->Debian Menu->Apps , at the top of the list, is the item "Databases", which lists:
MySQL Administrator
MySQL Navigator
MySQL Query Browser
PgAccess
PostgreSQL Interactive Terminal (psql)
.

In running pgaccess from the Applications menu on the sarge installation, and checking the version number, using Help->About, I found that it is the latest version, as stated on the Debian web page for the package.

Now, what I am wondering, is whether the lack of inclusion of the Databases packages, in the Applications menu, in etch, is intentional, or whether it is a defect in my installation of etch (which was done as an upgrade from sarge to etch, requiring some troubleshooting to repair damage, as gnome and the packages that run on it, were obliterated in the upgrade, and took a bit of work to be restored).

It seems strange to me, that a menu, such as the Databases menu, should be missing from the Applications menu in etch, as it is very useful, with the convenience of being able to run the applications by clicking on the menu entries, rather than looking for instructions in books, to find how to run the applications.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale