Chris Lale wrote:
> Florian Kulzer wrote:
>> On Fri, Jun 29, 2007 at 12:39:48 +0100, Chris Lale wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>> Both machines have Etch up to date.
>>>
>>> The laptop has /dev/dsp, the affected desktop does not. Perhaps this device
>>> is
>>> needed by alsa for the affected applications? I tried to create the device
>>> with
>>>
>>>     # cd /dev; ./MAKEDEV -v sound
>>>
>>> but the command created the devices in /dev/.static/dev/ because udev is
>>> active.
>>> Both machines have udev. Is there another way to create /dev/dsp?
>> # file /dev/dsp
>> /dev/dsp: ERROR: cannot open `/dev/dsp' (No such file or directory)
>>
>> # modprobe snd_pcm_oss
>>
>> # file /dev/dsp
>> /dev/dsp: character special (14/3)
>>

> Well, knock me down with a feather! Everything works. :)

[...]

I've now discovered why /dev/dsp disappeared - /dev/dsp is deleted when I run
alsaconf! This might be related to unreproducible bug #406738: alsa-utils:
Running alsaconf stops sound card from working[1]. Not quite the same because my
sound card(s) work but the OSS apps (eg XMMS) do not.

Should I report this as a new bug?

Chris.