Kent West wrote:
I can't say I ever recall it being law, but I remember my grandparents teaching me to walk against the flow of traffic, so that you can see the driver and the driver can see you, and I grew up with the concept of doing the same on a bike (I'm unsure if they taught me that, or if I just made the cross-over in my own child's mind); this was back in the 60's.

btw, this was in rural (at the time) Texas (Hood County, Granbury, Acton, Lipan area)

--
Kent