On Tuesday 17 July 2007 19:19, koffiejunkie shared this with us all:
>--} Is there anything I can do to improve this, or this battery just on the
>--} way out?  I'm just bothered by the suddeness of this drop in battery
>--} life - it's been at about an hour for a good six months now, and stayed
>--} pretty stable.  Unless some of the cells just died.
>--}
>--} Thanks

If you're uncertain about the battery, I have resurrected a battery from a
laptop by putting it in a plastic bag and into the freezer for about 4 - 5
hours. then taking it out and recharging it fully. It came back to close
enough to new and is still going strong.

But your mileage may vary, because a good deal depends on the battery and just
how good it is, etc., etc.. The one I did was a Toshiba laptop battery from a
lappy I had been given.

I have always found that to get the most out of the life of a laptop battery,
you have to run it right out, something that, I think, the latest windows
won't allow, till it just drops right out. This way there is no memory built
up, but when the battery finally does (*) really die. It's dead for ever. As
well you have to have a good filesystem like ext3 on the lappy, that will
recover from this kind of crash, and of course, manually save everything for
the last 3 minutes or so of battery life, and just play a game or something
till it crashes, with everything else shut down. The battery will then last
for years, or does in my case. I have to use laptops because we have solar
power, and have to husband our power and use it frugally.

Hope that helps.
Charlie
--
Registered Linux User:- 329524