On 19/07/07 20:37:22, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 19, 2007 at 10:58:13 +0100, Barry Samuels wrote:
> > I have two computers at home on a small network both of which are
> > connected to a router. Both computers are running Debian Testing.
> > Computer A has two ethernet ports one of which is connected to the
> > router and one is connected to a network printer. Computer B sends
> > its printing jobs to the network printer via the router.
> >
> > Everything was working well until I upgraded the kernel on computer
> > A from 2.6.20.1 to 2.6.22. After that upgrade network printing from
> > computer B would no longer work with the message 'waiting for <IP
> > address> to come up'. The odd thing is that I could ping the
> > ethernet port on computer A to which the printer is connect but not
> > the printer itself.
> >
> > Reverting to kernel 2.20.1 on computer A cured the printing problem
> > but means that the sensors temperatures that have worked properly
> > for the first time with 2.6.22 now cannot be displayed (bother!).
> >
> > That seems to mean either a bug in kernel 2.6.22 or a new setting
> > that I have not set. I did copy my 2.6.20.1 config to 2.6.22 and
> > did a make oldconfig.
> >
> > Any comments, suggestions or revalations please?
>
> Maybe there was a network-related change in some kernel configuration
> options and "make oldconfig" did not take that into account properly.
> For example, a missing netfilter module might make your firewall on
> Computer A unduly restrictive. Do you see any network or firewall
> related error messages in dmesg?
>
> I would simply try a stock Debian 2.6.22 kernel image (available in
> Sid); if that works then you know the problem is the configuration of
> your custom kernel.
>
> --
> Regards,            | http://users.icfo.es/Florian.Kulzer
>           Florian   |

Florian

Thanks for your suggestion.

Computer A is normally running 24 hours each day and the last time it
would have been re-booted would have been when the new (2.6.22) kernel
was installed.

Computer B is turned on and off each day.

This morning I decided to revert to the 2.6.22 kernel, having been
running the 2.6.20.1 kernel since this problem appeared, to try some
more investigation.

Having re-booted computer A and turned on computer B I find that the
printing is now working perfectly again. When the problem first
appeared I also tried printing from my laptop which connects via
wireless and that couldn't print either so I'm assuming the problem was
with computer A. I have no idea what it might have been but it has gone
away.

Thanks for trying to help.

--
Barry Samuels