Hi,

I have a few questions about how mail works. I'm using mutt with exim
on Lenny, which I use to access my pop mail account. I've noticed that
my messages sometimes are a long time getting from the server to mutt.
For example, if I check my email via the webmail webpage without
starting fetchmail, I can see that I have messages waiting. If I then
start fetchmail and refresh the webpage I see that the messages have
been removed from the server. However, the messages don't appear in
mutt for several minutes. Even if I restart fetchmail when I know
there are messages waiting for me, it may still take 10 or 15 minutes
before they actually show up in mutt. Where are the messages after
they get pulled from the server and before they show up on my laptop?

My other question is how do you handle roaming about with a laptop and
accessing a pop account? I have no problem getting messages into mutt,
other than mentioned above. But I can't send mail via mutt without
changing my outgoing mail server, which is awkward if I'm at an
internet cafe or somewhere else where I don't know the proper server
address. When I first started using mutt this was a real hassle, since
there was no warning that my emails weren't being delivered -
mutt just behaved normally, despite my messages not getting sent to
the outgoing mail server. I can still use the webpage interface, but
then I don't have access to mutt's address aliases, and I can't use
emacs to write the emails. Is there an easier way to send mail via a
pop account from a laptop?

Thanks,

Tyler