On Thu, Jul 26, 2007 at 13:51:27 -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Mumia W.. wrote:
> > I'm using Sarge. When I log in, I no longer get a message telling me the
> > # of failed logins.
> >
> > For example, if I try to login but use a wrong password, when I try
> > again using the real password, I should see a message saying "1 failed
> > login attempts." I no longer get that message.
>
> I personally have never seen such a message.  You must have previously
> installed or configured something that added that functionality.

I have been using Debian for about 5 years now. As far as I remember, it
always had the "n failure(s) since last login" message (if n was greater
than zero). I never had to do anything to set it up, therefore I
unfortunately don't know exactly how it works. My best guess is that it
involves some PAM modules which parse /var/log/faillog and/or use the
"faillog" command. Maybe this link helps to track it down:

http://linux.sys-con.com/read/49058.htm

(search for "faillog" on that page)

          Florian   |