Florian Kulzer wrote:

The changelog of the newest Sid version of cupsys gives me the
impression that there were some problems with the first Debian packages
of the new upstream cups release (version 1.2.12-1, in Lenny right now).
Maybe your problem ist just a case of installing at the wrong time. You
could try if you can install version 1.2.12-2 of cupsys, cupsys-common,
cupsys-client, and libcupsys2 (from Sid). Using "dpkg --purge
--force-depends" should allow you to temporarily purge the old packages
without removing anything else that depends on cups. This should be safe
if you reinstall the new (or old) packages again immediately. (Famous
last words...)

I'm starting to think it may be a kernel-related problem somehow. I removed cups completely and installed lprng and the foomatic filter. At first this gave me exactly the same problem as I had had with cups: using foomatic-gui to print a test page produces single lines of gibberish per page.

I then rebooted again. Now I am unable to get a test page to produce anything at all. When I do lpq -P lp0 I get:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ lpq -Plp0
Printer: [EMAIL PROTECTED] 'HL5040'
 Queue: 1 printable job
 Server: pid 3708 active
 Unspooler: pid 3709 active
 Rank   Owner/ID               Pr/Class Job Files      Size Time
active [EMAIL PROTECTED]            A   706 (STDIN)   27719 12:03:32

There is no /dev/lp0. dmesg says:

pnp: the driver 'parport_pc' has been registered
pnp: match found with the PnP device '00:0c' and the driver 'parport_pc'
parport: PnPBIOS parport detected.
parport0: PC-style at 0x378 (0x778), irq 7, dma 3 [PCSPP,TRISTATE,COMPAT,EPP,ECP ,DMA]
parport0: Printer, Brother HL-5040 series

There are no further references to lp0 or parport0

Googling gives me a few vaguely related symptoms; following one of these I found the suggestion to modprobe ppdev. My kern.log then showed:

 Aug  7 11:51:56 dogmatix kernel: ppdev: user-space parallel port driver

but the symptoms didn't change.

My printcap is:

lp0|HL5040: \
:lp=/dev/lp0: \
:force_localhost: \
:if=/usr/bin/foomatic-rip: \
:ppd=/usr/local/ppd/Brother-HL-5040-hl1250.ppd: \
:sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp: \
:mx#0:sh:

Graham