On Tue, Aug 07, 2007 at 17:45:18 +0200, Hans Vogelsberger wrote:
> Since one week or so apt-get is broken because of unmet dependencies on my
> →  AMD64, Aspire 4200, Debian, mirror http://ftp.at.debian.org/debian/
> →  testing.
>
> There should be a bug report, but I do not know against which of the five
> packages apt-get, gcc-4.2-base, lib32stdc++6, glibc-2.6.1, or dpkg. Some
> further packages also seem to depend on the same 'old' version of
> gcc-4.2-base.

The dependencies look OK to me: Your output below shows that the new
version of lib32stdc++6 requires gcc-4.2-base version 4.2-20070712-1,
which is the version currently in Lenny. The root of your problem seems
to be a known bug of lib32z1 (fixed in the meantime) which blocks the
installation of libc6-i386 (and everything else).

>               Experience shows that bug reporting against the wrong package
> leads to no consequences at all. This would be more than disastrous.
> Testing without upgrades is absolutely unusable. I would have to change to
> Ubuntu after having used Debian testing since it came up - in the times of
> Potato, wasn't it?

Something about the meaning of the words "testing" and "Ubuntu" comes to
mind, but I think it is better if I let it slide.

> The following error messages I had to translate from German, only a few of
> them matched with readable texts I found in /bin/apt-get, so please excuse
> if there are mistakes.

You can run "LANG=C somecommand" and you will get the messages of
"somecommand" in English.

> Errors after apt-get upgrade, apt-get dist-upgrade and apt-get
> deselect-upgrade (exactly the same text):
>
> Package lists are read... done
> Dependency tree is built... done
> You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
>   lib32stdc++6: depends: gcc-4.2-base (= 4.2-20070712-1) but 4.2-20070627-1
> is installed
>   locales: depends: glibc-2.6-1
> E: Unmet dependencies. Try to use -f.

Most likely this is only a consequence of the lib32z1 problem and will
go away as soon as the latter is fixed.

> Errors after apt-get -f install:
>
> (Reading data base ... 88142 files and dictionaries are installed.)
> Package lists are read.
> Preparing to replace libc6-i386 2.5-9 (by .../libc6-i386_2.6-2_amd64.deb)
> Unpacking replacement for libc6-i386 ...
> dpkg: Error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6-i386_2.6-2_amd64.deb
> (--unpack):
>  Trying to overwrite »/usr/lib32« which is also in lib32z1
> Errors occurred while processing:
>  /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6-i386_2.6-2_amd64.deb

dpkg --force-overwrite -i /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6-i386_2.6-2_amd64.deb

followed by

apt-get install -f

should fix this.

> When trying to remove one or all of the above files, apt-get threatens to
> delete several screenfuls of files, including some which I need and use
> every day.

That is to be expected if you try to remove important system libraries
and related packages.

>            This is, what aptitude does, therefore I never used this
> program.

No, this is not what aptitude does, unless it is used by someone who
does not understand the Debian packaging system and who has not bothered
to read aptitude's excellent documentation (available in four
languages).

>          '--reinstall install' shows no effect at all.

> After updating to kernel 2.6.21 some more insufficiencies showed up,
> especially during boot procedures. I shall ask for them separately when
> they become bothering too much.

          Florian   |