On Wed, Aug 08, 2007 at 08:42:22PM +0200, Manon Metten wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> On 8/8/07, Andrew Sackville-West <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> I think you're missing the point. Write in whatever suits you and the
> > task at hand. If you're hacking on a project that has already started,
> > then learn the appropriate language. If you're starting from scratch,
> > then learn whichever one seems intuitive to you at the outset. Be
> > prepared to realise that you've made the wrong choice and port it
> > something else. ;)
>

> I guess you're an experienced programmer, which I'm not.

I'm not either. Its been literally 15 years since I did any real
 coding... but it is fun...

 I don't learn
> another programming language that easy, coz I only master two:
> AmigaDOS and ARexx. But now I feel the need switch to Linux and
> either become familiar with bash/perl/python or whatever. That's why I
> asked my initial question: to not find out at some point that I've made
> the wrong choice.

again, that's the point, there is no *wrong* choice, just perhaps a
choice that is not suitable for the task at hand. That doesn't mean it
won't be useful in the future, or teach you some concept now. While a
choice of language to learn may not benefit the current project, it
will surely be a benefit at some point.

As an example, I learned a little rudimentary lisp back in about
1987 and I *never* used it beyond that brief introduction. Then about
two years ago, I had an itch to scratch and did some work on the
reports system in Gnucash. The reports are all written in Scheme, a
derivative of lisp. I was able to draw on that rudimentary knowledge
of lisp and get myself moving pretty quickly. So that little bit from
two decades ago came in handy eventually.

> Don't pick a language because someone else told you it was easier to
> > read. Lots of people can read perl-splatter with ease others can read
> > scheme-nested-parenthesis madness like its their native tongue.
>

> Well, maybe than, it's a matter of programming habits. That's why I didn't
> think of that, coz my code mostly is pretty neatly.
>

> You have to find some compromise that 1) works for YOU and 2) meets
> > the needs of the project.
>

> I agree. Thanks again. I appreciate your precious advise. I hope I make the
> right choice, but if I don't, I'm prepared now to switch.

You will make the right choice because there is no wrong choice. :)
 And the more languages you learn the better and easier it becomes...

enjoy and best regards.