On 08/14/2007 03:06 PM, Magnus Pedersen wrote:
> Mark Neidorff wrote:
>> First...vim.  (Yeah, I'm old school)  OK.  I'm in text entry mode and
>> I want to navagate up/down/left or right.  If I press an arrow key, a
>> new line is opened and a character ("B" or "D" or ...) is put in the
>> first position of that line.  If I switch to navagation mode, then the
>> arrow keys work properly.  Am I dealing with a vim problem, a terminal
>> problem or a keyboard mapping/character set problem?  Whichever it is,
>> how do I solve it?
>
> Dunno, I don't see that kind of behavior from my Vim...

When calling the default install of vim-tiny as 'vim <file>', I believe
arrow-key navigation works, however, when calling as 'vi <file>', vim
behaves as the old-school vi (h,j,k,l) and the use of arrow-keys will
output control characters.

dpkg -l vim* |grep ^ii

Will likely only show vim-tiny installed.

aptitude install vim

Will get you the full-featured vim software and 'vi <file>' should work
by default with arrow navigation.

Kind Regards,
Michael