On Sat, Aug 18, 2007 at 08:42:03PM +1000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I don't have a network connection, a win modem is the only one I have and I
> am currently working to try compile the win modem source code. I'll have to
> install kernel header files to do it. But first, I have to learn how to
> install packages in Debian.

Good luck with that. If you have problems start a new thread here.

>> P.S. Is there a reason for using apt-get? aptitude is the recommended
>> frontend and also has a nice text interface if you start it without
>> options.
>
> I am new to Debian :-), just follow instructions from people who helped me
> through the package installation. If you could give me aptitude commands
> for package installation, I'll try it.

The basic command-line commands are the same/similar as apt-get:

Command                 Interactive             Explanation
line                    mode
update                  u (small)               update package list
upgrade                 (none)                  upgrade packages (do not remove
or add
                                                                new packages)
dist-upgrade    U (capital U)   upgrade packages (remove or add if
                                                                necessary)
install                 +                               install package(s)
remove                  -                               remove package(s)
without config files
purge                   _ (underscore)  remove package(s) including config files
                                g (first)               (go) show scheduled
actions (+,-,U,
                                                                ...)
                                g (second)              perform actions
                                Ctrl-t/F10              open menu